Another Penguin Game for the Common Core

With all the new stuff I have developed for the Common Core, I have been spending extra hours at the copier and hauling home bags of cards and game boards to cut out and assemble.  This has led me to looking for shortcuts and reusing game pieces more than once.

I have been using penguin bingo with my first graders and really like the visual images on the cards.  I decided to use these same cards on another game.

Double Digit Compare and the Common Core



 An idea in the first grade common core that is brand new to me is using the greater than and less than symbols to compare numbers.  I have NEVER DONE THIS WITH FIRST GRADERS.  It has been making me a little nervous.  I have been thinking all year, I need to do this.  I finally took the plunge (penguin humor) Here it is.....




I think this is my new favorite creation of the year!!!  It re-uses the penguin bingo cards and the visual images really are helping kids compare numbers!  The game board was fairly easy to make as well.   It is just a piece of card stock with some metal brads that hold down two small strips.  These strips can to rotated to make the greater than, less than and equal to signs.  Here is another picture



This is the standard (I thought this was going to be a lot harder for the kids than it was!)

CCSS.Math.Content.1NBT.B.3 Compare two two-digit numbers based on meanings of the tens and ones digits, recording the results of the comparisons with the symbols >, =, and <.


Now that the kids have played it a few times, I am thinking about adding a record sheet.  I was working with a group today playing this game and we created our own record sheet as we played.  It really took the game to the next level.

How do you plan on meeting the standards about comparing numbers?

0 Komentar untuk " "

Back To Top