First Grade Penguins!


Penguins and the Common Core


It is winter here in Vermont and that means penguin time for the first graders.  They learn all about different types of penguins and use the penguin theme to unite a lot of the reading, writing and math they do in February.  With this being the first year we have really committed to the Common Core State Standards, I have noticed a few gaps in our program materials in first grade math so I decided to create some new games/activities to fill these gaps in.  Because it is penguin time, I made them penguin themed.  First and foremost they are specifically designed activities to get kids meeting Common Core standards.  The penguin theme makes them feel united and a lot of fun for the firsts!


Penguin Bingo


 


 This game addresses two first grade standards
-CCSS.Math.Content.1.NBT.A.1: Count to 120 starting at any number less than 120.  In this range, read and write numerals and represent a number of objects with a written numeral.
-CCSS.Math.Content.1.NBT.B.2: Understand that the two digits of a two-digit number represent amounts of tens and ones.



I made 4 different bingo boards and a deck of 24 cards.  The bingo boards all contain every number on the cards, they are just in mixed up order.  I find that with first graders, I want all the numbers called to be somewhere on the board.  It helps me see how well kids are following along because I can see how many markers are on each board.

The deck of cards contains numbers up to 100 (I know the standard says up to 120,  but I have a large bunch of kids who are not ready for this yet.) They are not written numerals but rather pictures of base 10 pieces.  I think this really helps with the second standard 1.NBT.B.2 which is understanding a number represents tens and ones.  I also think this visual image for kids needs to be used over and over again so that they can develop mental images.  This really helps when they get to the order/compare parts of the standards.

I am working on another game that uses the same cards as penguin bingo but in a different way.  I will show it to you when it is ready!

How do you help kids build visual images of numbers?






0 Komentar untuk "First Grade Penguins!"

Back To Top